I have been the wine and cheese buyer at a neighborhood wine bar called TasteVin Wine Bar and Bistro located in San Carlos, CA since we opened our doors in August of 2013. I had my first Saturday tasting event in November 2013 to kick off the holiday season. Since then, we have had a tasting every Saturday.
There is always a theme for the tasting, ex: wines from a specific country or region, tasting one grape variety from different wine regions around the world, pairing wine with cheese or chocolate, etc. The last Saturday of every month is the blind tasting challenge – 2 whites, 2 reds and you deducing what it is!
How do I choose the wines for Saturdays? I go to trade tastings constantly. I love tasting through as many wines as possible (between 40 to 70 at a time) and finding wines that are memorable – ones you never forget. I also have reps from distributors bring wines to TasteVin for me to taste. This will typically only be 6-10 wines at a time.
Whenever I taste through a selection of wines I try to do a few things:
- look for a wine that I think tastes great, if not exceptional
- make sure the wine is at a good price point, if not over-delivering for the price point
- decide if it’s something I think TasteVin customers will appreciate
- figure out how and when I can use this wine for a Saturday tasting event
If you’d like to follow along, click on the links below for more information on each Saturday event – the regions, the producers and the wines. Or if you are in the area, come on by!
- Saturday, Jan 20, 2018: Wines of South Africa!
- Saturday, Jan 13, 2018: Cellar Tasting – Italian Reds!
- Saturday, Jan 6th, 2018: TASTEOFF! California vs. France featuring Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Saturday, Dec 30th, 2017: Sparkling Wine and Champagne Tasting
- Saturday, Dec 23rd, 2017: Holiday Wine Tasting
- Saturday, Dec 16th, 2017: 90+ pt Champagne Tasting!
- Saturday, Dec 9th, 2017: Cellar Selections, 90+pt California Reds
- Wednesday, Dec 6th, 2017: Festivus Flight!
- Saturday, Dec 2nd, 2017: Silver Oak Cabs – Side-by-side!
- Saturday, Nov 18th, 2017: Wines for Thanksgiving
- Saturday, Nov 11th, 2017: Around the World Wines
- Saturday, Nov 4th, 2017: Bordeaux vs. Provence – Comparing Whites and Reds